Here is my 5-step evening routine (in order)! This is a routine that works for me and keeps my teeth and gums healthy! All products that I use are linked below! *Some links are affiliate links.
1. Floss with expanding floss: Studies show the flossing BEFORE brushing removes more plaque! I use expanding floss because it covers more surface area for an effective clean.
2. Irrigate with water flosser: Water flossers are a great tool for irrigating the gums and removing food and debris. Water flossing enhances the effectiveness of toothbrushing and toothpaste. I add 1/3 mouthwash + 2/3 water to my water flosser to help fight gingivitis. (Only certain mouthwashes can be used and you must flush the water flosser with plain water afterwards!)
3. Brush with electric toothbrush + xylitol toothpaste: An electric toothbrush removes plaque and bacteria better than a manual toothbrush. I use xylitol whitening toothpaste. Xylitol helps to prevent cavities and the whitening ingredients help protect against the formation of surface stains.
4. Use tongue scraper: I’m currently using a stainless steel tongue scraper but the plastic ones work great as well!
5. Apply moisturizing mouth gel: Our mouths tend to get dry overnight as we’re sleeping. A dry mouth can lead to several oral health issues. Applying a moisturizing mouth gel overnight can help balance the oral pH and prevent tooth decay and gum disease.